Monday, January 3, 2011

Thankful for John


John H. Edinger, Jr., my stepfather
(Jan 5, 1940 - Dec 24, 2010)
Forty Christmases ago, I was given a new father.  John Edinger, my stepfather since December 26, 1970, entered my life when I was twelve years old.

For Christmas this past year, John was taken away. Quite suddenly so.  Gone in a flash, in an incident no one saw coming, two hundred and sixty-three miles away, at his home in Mount Airy, North Carolina.  I learned of it in a Christmas Day phone call from my brother, Jack.

We had his funeral to start the new year.  In four more days, John would have turned 71.

How fortunate I have been to have enjoyed these last 40 years knowing this man.  Selfless is one of the best words that describes him.  He gave me so much, taught me so much more, and left before I could hardly even begin to repay him.

He was the anchor of our family, our splintered family.  When we were broken, he put us back together again.  He set the example.  He was patient with us -- without hiding his impatience.  In this time of shock and grief, it is a comfort to think back on things, little things that John did with us, things that he taught us, and things that he said.

I remember that huge Buick LeSaber he was driving back when he and Mom were married, big as a battleship.  I remember the family trips we took, the cigars he smoked (which made me sick to my stomach as a rode along in the back seat).   John let me drive that when I got my learner's permit.  John told me that a car could kill me faster than a bullet.  That was his way of telling me to drive carefully.

John taught me how to play chess, and what a great sense of accomplishment I had the day I finally beat him for the first time!  He taught me about golf, especially the rules.  He taught me baseball.  John probably knew more inside baseball stuff than any man on Earth who was not professionally involved in the sport.  He subscribed to Sports Illustrated, when I was younger.  His knowledge, which he willingly and selflessly shared with me, opened to me the whole world of sports -- each game, the personalities, the rules, the history.

He was my math tutor, my reading teacher, and my guide through so many things.  He taught me stamp and coin collecting.  We talked military stuff when we were together. He was always opening new doors for me.  And when I left home, he didn't stop being a father to me.  He was interested in my Army career, always wanting to know about my assignments, my training, and my experiences.  He visited me at Fort Gordon and at Fort Huachuca.  We had many a long conversation, sometimes by phone, sometimes in his office, and sometimes--the best times--when we went out for breakfast together.  We bought books for each other.  It was because of John that I learned to love reading.  He knew so much about so many things.

Death puts a sudden and final stop to these things.  Death operates entirely on its own schedule.  Death has no conscience and thinks nothing of snatching loved ones away from us before we can even think to say good-by to them.  How glad I am, therefore, that I told John, in a letter several years ago, a little bit of how thankful I was that he came into our life.  I told him of how fortunate I felt that my I and my brothers (and my mother, also) were to have had him all the years up until then.  I would write the same thing to him today, only it would require me to recount many more things for which, by his hand, we might feel grateful for.  And I told him that it was always his face that came to mind whenever I read that passage in the first chapter of the Gospel of John, that "there was a man sent from God, whose name was John."

There will never be another Christmas to share with John.  All the Christmases from now on will be spent, to some degree, in trying to be more like him.


                            (Thanksgiving, by George Winston)

4 comments:

  1. Tony, those are wonderful remembrances. They bring tears to my eyes. I only wish I had gotten to know your and Jack's dad better.

    God bless you... Mike Fairchild

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, I quit reading your blogs a while ago. I used to look for my name in them but naver found it. I figure you mostly write about stuff you think your followers would most likely care to read about. Politics and such. Things I don't really care for so much.

    But today I was skimming through your topics and saw this one. I admit I skimmed to the part that said Grandpa John was the one that taught you how to play chess. I'm sure you told me that before, but I didn't pay attention. I just thought you liked to beat me. And I remember when you tried to interrest me in coin collecting, and stamp collecting. I STILL can't say I collect anything but bad habbits. I remember the first book you bought me-I think. Rebecca of Sunny Brook Farms. It may not have been the first you ever bought me, but it's the first I remember, of many. I still hate reading, but it was worth a shot. I never gave baseball or golf the time of day, and I only watched the Tarheels because it seemed to make you happy that you had somebody to sit with.

    But reading this made me realize that, for you, teaching me those things was a way for you to be as good a dad to me as Grandpa John was to you. And if its any consolation, whenever I take Haydin to the library (he's even partisipating in their summer reading program), or try to explain how to properly hold a fork, or how to hold a guitar, or tie his shoes, or ANYTHING really, I can't help but have the memory in my mind from when you taught me that certain thing.

    Every time I get those memories I finally, truly appreciate the effort it took for you to "open those doors" for me. I may not have gone through a single one of them, but I remember where they are, and I'm going to show my children and hope that they will get it right.

    I love you, Dad. And Grandpa John would be so proud of you if he only knew the half of what you've actually taken away from all the things he shared with you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated.