Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Letter to the Editor of the Mount Airy News

(Published January 12, 2011)

To the Editor,

On behalf of my family, that of the late John H. Edinger Jr., of Mount Airy, I want to thank the city of Mount Airy for all that it has done for us in the wake of the unspeakable tragedy that befell us this past Christmas Eve.

Specifically, I want to thank Mayor Deborah Cochran for her genuine concern and words of comfort. I want to thank the Mount Airy Police Department, the Mount Airy Fire Department, the Mount Airy Rescue Squad, and the Surry County Emergency Medical Service.  Though we wish with all our hearts that we had never needed their help, my family and I are grateful for the exceptional service each of them provided.

I want to thank Pastor Roger Gilbert and the members of the First Baptist Church of Mount Airy. Dr. Gilbert visited us, helped our family get the healing process started, and preached the double funeral for my stepfather, John and my brother Michael C. Edinger. The church members’ kind deeds, before the funeral and after, will long be remembered. Thanks also for the services provided by Moody’s Funeral Services. They helped us with much more than the funeral on New Year’s Day.

Our family, especially John, has always loved Mount Airy. As to the biggest reason why, that was demonstrated afresh, to each of us, as we experienced an overflow of unfeigned care and concern, from so many, in the wake of John’s and Mike’s untimely deaths. There are scores of nearby neighbors and friends from throughout the city and surrounding area that were so kind to us.  There is obviously not enough space here to thank them all by name, but their neighborliness and simple acts of kindness are among the most appreciated gifts we, as a family, have ever received.

Tony W. Howard Jr.

Augusta, Ga.



Read more: Mount Airy News - Letters to the Editor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated.