Friday, May 11, 2012

Naomi Schaefer Riley, Black Studies Programs, and the Sorry State of Higher Education

Naomi Schaefer Riley
I have added to my list of "counselors" author Naomi Schaefer Riley.  I heard Ms. Riley on the radio a couple of mornings ago being interviewed by former education secretary, Bill Bennett. She is the author of a recently published book on higher education: The Faculty Lounges: And Other Reasons Why You Won't Get the College Education You Pay For.  It's a book I'm looking forward to reading because, over the years, I've had the distinct privilege of working with a lot of people who obviously did NOT get the college education they (or somebody) paid for.  Her interview with Bill Bennett drew my attention because it was mentioned during the course of the discussion that she had been fired for something she had written.  I should mention that it never fails to grab my attention whenever I hear of someone has written something that has gotten them in hot water with the powers that be.  So, obviously, I'm looking forward to reading her book.

The Book
The subject of the piece that led to Ms. Riley's dismissal as a contributor to The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Brainstorm" blog was the concept of black studies programs in major colleges and universities or, more specifically, why they should be eliminated.  After a storm of mostly juvenile criticism, Ms. Riley published a response on the same blog.  At some point in this war of words, she was fired, and the editors of blog had this to say by way of justification.  In response to her firing, Ms. Riley took to the opinion pages of the Wall Street Journal, where she is a frequent contributor, to declaim about the "mob mentality" that prevails in many circles of higher education these days.

So, it's not just because the catchy title of her book interests me, it's because, after listening to her discuss the subject with Bill Bennett, and after reading the aforementioned articles, I am persuaded that Naomi Schaefer Riley not only knows what she's talking and writing about, she's such an authority that she deserves a place on my exclusive roster of counselors.

twh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated.