Sunday, December 29, 2013

New Books for Christmas

You'd think that with all the books I already have, I wouldn't be purchasing any more. But if you really thought that way it would only prove that you do not yet understand books, or reading, or me. My family and close acquaintances have long since quit getting me anything for my birthdays or for Christmas except for gift cards at bookstores, like Barnes and Noble's. This year they even got me one of those pre-paid Visa cards so I could shop at my favorite online, second-hand bookstore, Abe Books. So I'm anxiously awaiting the mailman's delivery of this year's haul; and, as you can see, I've opted for something besides military history.

Gleanings from Paul, by Arthur Pink.

Commentary on Matthew: The Gospel of the Kingdom, by C. H. Spurgeon.

Romans: An Exposition of Chapter 12 Christian Conduct, by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones.

Glorious Freedom: The Excellency of the Gospel Above the Law, by Richard Sibbes.

Facing Grief: Counsel for Mourners, by John Flavel.

Jonathan Edwards on Knowing Christ, by, of course, Jonathan Edwards.

George Muller of Bristol: His Life of Prayer and Faith.

Andrew Bonar: Diary and Life, by Andrew Bonar.

Josiah's Reformation, by Richard Sibbes.

The Glory of Christ, by John Owen.


I'm sure it won't surprise anyone that one of my favorite quotes is from the Reverend Samuel Davies, (1723-1761) ...
"The venerable dead are waiting in my library to entertain me and relieve me from the nonsense of surviving mortals." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated.