Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Some Things I Learned this Week

Recent experiences are proving to me, once again, that one is never too old to learn.

For example, in joint military doctrine, I learned the the Coast Guard is the only military service, in addition to Army and Air National Guard under Title 32 United States Code, not constrained by the Posse comitatus Act or its extension by Department of Defense directive(s).  In a nutshell, the Posse Comitatus Act bans the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines from participating in arrests, searches, seizures of evidence, and other "police-type" activity on US soil.  However, the Coast Guard and National Guard troops under the control of state governors are excluded from the Act.  I learned this in the process of taking a joint staff doctrine networked education and training (DOCNET) course on Joint Publication 1, Doctrine for the Armed Forces of the United States.

I also learned that, at age 52, I can still run--sprint, in fact.  I proved this Saturday at the Atlanta airport.  My wife was traveling and after she processed through security I tried to call her.  After several attempts, a security guard answered her phone and informed me that it had been left at her station.  With time running short before my wife's flight departed the boarding gate, I obtained a security pass, went through the standard humiliations of security screening, and made my way, in record time, to Concourse D, a trek that included a 100-yard dash from the escalator entry to the concourse to Gate 8a.  I also learned that, at this age, running like that makes your legs ache for the next two to three days.

I learned that the proposed revisions to FM 3-0 (see my previous comments on this) are meeting with some pretty stiff opposition.  The Signal Center was far from alone in its general non-concurrence.  I understand that some rather heated discussion took place at last week's council of colonels, convened at "the intellectual center of the Army," Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.  We at the Signal Center are most delighted over hearing that all the terms prefaced by "cyber," (for example, "Cyber-NETOPS," Cyber-Situational Awareness," "Cyber-Electromagnetic," etc.) will be dropped and that, more than likely, TRADOC Pamphlet 525-7-8
Cyberspace Operations Concept Capability Plan 2016-2028, will be rescinded.

Surprisingly, I learned that my daughter, Sarah, is quite the little housekeeper.  In Mom's absence, she's taken on the jobs of meal preparation, washing and ironing, and looking after the pets.  She even makes my lunch and sees me out the door every morning.  Cheerfully, I might add.  Who knew that she was capable of such feats?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated.