Saturday, December 24, 2011

There was a Man Sent from God whose Name was John

December 24th.
John H. Edinger, Jr.
(Jan 5, 1940 - Dec 24, 2010)
My Stepfather

As a kid all the way up into my fifties, I always looked forward to December 24th.  It is always just one of the best days of the year.  It is a day that has carried memories of many Christmases past.  Things that I recall from childhood Christmases, and in those later Christmastimes with my own children, never seem to fade.  They were always happy times, even when we were stationed overseas in my Army days.  In my family, we always opened one gift apiece on Christmas Eve.  December 24th was always the day!  Not even my own birthday each year filled me with as much anticipation.

Maybe it will be like that again.  I cannot know that for sure right now; for today is the first December 24th since the last one.  Memories today--and all year long leading up to today--are and have been filled with what transpired on Christmas Eve, 2010.

Michael C. Edinger
(Sep 3, 1965 - Dec 24, 2010)
My brother
December 24, 2010 was my stepfather, John's last day with us.  That wasn't John's choice; my brother, Mike decided that for him.  But then Officer Garcia of the Mount Airy Police Department decided that it would be Mike's last day with us, too.  Such decisions!  Such consequences!  We began the year with a double funeral on New Year's Day.

All year long I've kept the message on my cell phone of Jack calling me on Christmas Day to tell me what happened.  Three hundred and sixty-two days later, I got a Christmas card from Jack and his family.  I think I'll put the family photo he enclosed on the fridge and delete the phone message.

This Christmas, Jack took his family someplace far away for a vacation.  My mother decided she would travel, too, visiting my brother, Greg and his family and perhaps some old friends in and around Onslow County, North Carolina.  Connie and I are glad just to stay home and watch each other swallow.  Sarah is here with us, and Sam, and Mr. Herky.  We plan to talk to Rebekah and the little ones tonight via Skype.

And, before we go to bed, each of us will open a gift.  After all, it's Christmas Eve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated.