Monday, January 6, 2014

Jury Duty ... Oops!

So I get this summons in the mail for jury duty the week of January 14. 

Actually, my daughter, Sarah got the summons. It had been lying in her stack of unopened mail for who knows how long. She brought it to me a few days ago with apologies, telling me that the good news was that I haven't gone to jail yet, so it can't be that late.

I opened it to discover that I'm scheduled for duty the week of January 14. So there was still time.

But, since I'm likely to be in the hospital that week (long story) I took the summons with me last Friday to my Dr's appointment. No problem. The doctor filled out the portion on the back of the form where requests for medical excusal is provided. All I had to do was take the form to the office of jury services downtown before the deadline.

So after circling the parking lot at the Judicial Center for several minutes, then finally finding a space down the street a ways, in a muddy field, I walked the quarter mile in the stiff, icy breeze to the building. I found the jury assembly room and presented my summons to a young lady who appeared to be sort of in charge. 

She examined the form and said it was from last year. She and I walked into a separate room where there was a computer. She looked me up in the system and said, yes, this summons was for January 2013.

LAST YEAR!

Sarah was right. I haven't gone to jail yet. Guess if I was going to, they would've picked me up by now.

Then the nice lady at Jury Services told me that, since I have a medical excuse, they will defer me from service for another year.

The walk back to the car wasn't all that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated.