Friday, January 10, 2014

Sometimes "Champion" is the Wrong Word

Champions?
So I'm looking over my blog, thinking of ways it could be improved (besides getting someone else to write it), and I notice a text box lower down on the right-hand side in which is a Bible quotation from the book of Romans. It's been there since I started this blog but I had forgotten that the text was hyperlinked. So I clicked on it and it took me to a page on the website of the Christian Classics Ethereal Library.

Now, one never quite knows what one will find when clicking around on the Internet, especially with all the pop-up ads these days. So I wasn't too surprised to see an ad for Liberty University Online. What got me was Liberty's motto: 
"Training Champions for Christ Since 1971."
I'm sure Liberty is a fine school but, seriously, champions for Christ?

Have you ever read a New Testament epistle that began with something like, "Paul, a champion of Jesus Christ, unto ...?"

Me neither.

Did you know that "champion" is found in the scriptures only three times, and that each time it is a reference to a Philistine named Goliath?

I'm thinking maybe Liberty, if they are serious about their image as a 'Christian university,' could use a new PR person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated.